Avoin kirje Canonille

Canon EOS R, 1D, 5D, Nikon Z7/Z6,D500/D5/D7200/D750/D810/Df/D610, Fuji S2/S3 Pro/XT-n, Olympus Pen-F, M10, M5, Pentax K D ja ist D-sarja, Sony A7/A9 jne.
Matti_JH
Viesti:

Avoin kirje Canonille

Viesti Kirjoittaja Matti_JH »

http://projectrawcast.com/an-open-lette ... nnovation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dear Canon,

You and I have had a very, very long friendship which has lasted many years and many, many generations of cameras. Ever since my first camera purchase, you have been my brand of choice. I still have my original Canon IXUS 40 and multiple generations of full frame and APS-C SLRs going back as far as the 450D which was released in March 2008. I own more Canon lenses than I know what to do with including many “L” series lenses which I firmly believe are the best lenses on the market. I have recommended your cameras and other equipment to anyone who will listen to me. I challenge you to find anyone who has been more passionate about using and promoting your products in the general photography community than I am.

But here is where things start to get a bit complicated – since the launch of the Canon 5DMK2 way back in March 2008 it has been extremely hard to be genuinely excited about any new cameras you have released. And here is why – the Canon 5DMK2 is in my opinion the last truly “innovative” camera you have developed and released. The MK2 saw professional video features introduced into a full frame SLR camera for the first time. This was a game changer for many professionals in both the photography and video community as it pushed people toward the SLR form factor in both fields, as well as allowing crossover without the need for the bulky and at the time extremely expensive video equipment.

Since then the models of cameras you have released have been very solid and perform well. But with each generational update has also come a substantial price rise, for not much in the way of new technology or innovative features. The 5Ds and 5DsR were the first all purpose (not taking into account the 1D series or competitors equivalents of cameras which in my opinion are not “all purpose” in terms of consumer level equipment) SLR cameras on the market to be priced over AU$5000. For the AU$5000+ investment per camera I again got a solid performing camera with a 50MP sensor. But, and here is a very big BUT – the AU$5000 camera felt exactly the same as the 5DMKIII that I had been using for three and a half years already. The dynamic range in my opinion is nowhere near as good as the MKIII, which in turn does not match competitors like the Sony A7RII or Nikon D810 (or the new D850). I basically paid $100 / MP of resolution in a camera that in many ways performs worse than the Canon 5DMKIII (purchase price AU$3500) camera that I had owned for quite some time prior to that purchase. And the body of the camera is completely indistinguishable besides the badges from that older the MKIII. Nothing about the 5Ds / 5DsR made me feel like I was holding AU$5000+ worth of camera.

So let’s get onto very latest releases in the MKIV and the 6DMKII. The MKIV is a great camera, but it again looks and feels exactly the same as the previous generation 5D range of cameras, just with the addition of a touch screen. The consumer level Canon 650D APS-C camera, released in June 2012, had a touch screen on it and just about all of the major competing brands have had this “feature” in their top level cameras for many years. We can’t exactly call the touch screen feature innovative. The low light performance and dynamic range is definitely a step up from the previous model 5DMKIII, but when you consider the price increase to AU$5000 retail as compared to the AU$3500 retail when the MKIII launched, it would want to perform better! I still struggle to understand the price increase in a camera that is essentially a generational replacement. It seems like what has happened was you realised you could hit this price point with the 5Ds and 5DsR and just bumped the price of the MKIV up to match. The 6DMKII sadly has been met with many bad reviews, especially when it comes to ISO performance and dynamic range. The previous generation 6D in many ways performs far better, and at launch was also priced anywhere from AU$800 – AU$1000 cheaper. If that price increase wasn’t there, it would be much easier to recommend the 6DMKII to anyone looking to step into the full frame market. Because of the price and performance, it is very hard to recommend it. And that makes me quite sad to say.

You have been lacking innovation now for many years while all of your major competitors, including Nikon, have been introducing new features in camera bodies wrapped around incredible quality sensors. The recent hype with the release of the Nikon D850 is something I wish I had felt as a Canon user over the past few years. I am genuinely jealous of the feeling many Nikon users are feeling right now. The release of the D850 feels like a “niche focussed” Apple product launch that has many, many people talking in a positive way about their brand again. The Sony A9 is a camera that has essentially changed the game for many professional photographers. And the Sony A7RII, which was released over two years ago now is still the leading camera for image quality within the professional landscape photography industry. So far you have refused to enter the full frame mirrorless market, and while I understand it is hard to compromise when you have the lions share of the lens market, this is costing you in terms of overall market share as Sony and Fuji continue their upward growth. Surely there is a solution to getting your “L” series lenses natively onto an in-house built, mirrorless full frame camera?

And while we are talking about Fuji – here is a brand that continues to innovate at a speed comparable to Sony. Don’t get me started on their new GFX50s. I could talk about that camera all day. For anyone who has the AU$12000 to spend on a camera body and a single lens, this is the camera I am currently recommending to people. This is the closest thing you will get to “medium format” performance for the money. I highly recommend every photographer try this camera out to understand what the future of digital photography performance is.

The firmware releases Fuji deliver to their users keep their cameras feeling like new products for a very long time after purchase. If only you had noticed what Magic Lantern does for many users of Canon cameras. If you had, you would realise that there is no excuse for not unlocking features like RAW video, intervalometer (only now just become part of the factory firmware), focus peaking, zebra overlays etc etc. I don’t get why those features are not part of the factory firmware when the team at Magic Lantern have proven your cameras are capable of these features. Magic Lantern brings the features more in line with what Sony and Fuji are offering in the mirrorless cameras, but without the jump in dynamic range and sensor performance. All of the other branded cameras I have mentioned use Sony sensors. Why has Sony jumped so far ahead in performance both in image quality and dynamic range? Because it was a strategy they introduced into their business model when they restructured the business and refocused their priorities a few years ago. And it has worked. Their sensors are the best in the camera industry now. Period.

Based on past experience, your product cycles generally last for three and a half to four years. So by my estimates, the 5DMKIV has at least three more years to go in its cycle before it is replaced. It is the current, flagship all purpose SLR. And it is already starting to look dated when compared to what the competition are doing. It doesn’t match the Sony A7RII in dynamic range. The Nikon D850 by all accounts is going to be a huge success and an incredible camera. And we still have what is rumoured as a “A7RIII” or equivalent to hit the market sometime within the next year or so. If Sony continues on the path they are on with this camera, those three years I am estimating in your product cycle are going to be three very, very hard years. And what about that image resolution? I know that resolution is not everything, but 30MP in the MKIV compared to the 42MP+ of the competition? Really? Surely you can do better than that.

The Canon 5DMKIV is a solid camera. I do though find it hard to justify recommending it based on the price and spec comparison to competitors. New models from Nikon, Fuji and the current Sony A7RII perform better as far as image quality goes. Yes there are other things to consider, but when it comes to innovation I can’t say it is the most innovative camera in the market.

I know there have been rumours doing the rounds about a full frame mirrorless Canon camera hitting the market sometime in Q4 of 2018. That is still over 1 year away. That’s another full year before you potentially release your first generation of full frame mirrorless cameras while the competition will be into the 3rd or 4th generation. I am likening this to GoPro entering into the drone market when DJI have been innovating and have had multiple generations of products out there in the marketplace. Let’s just hope by the time you do go mirrorless, it’s not too late. And let’s just hope we can’t draw any analogies similar to the GoPro Karma falling out of the sky when your mirrorless lineup does finally hit the shelves.

I genuinely feel quite sad to be writing this to you. But it’s something I just needed to get off my chest. Canon as a brand has been a huge part of my photography journey since the very first time I ever picked up a digital camera. And I truly hope you are part of that journey for many more years to come. There are many photographers in the industry who don’t have the brand loyalty and allegiance that I have who jumped ship to brands like Sony quite some time ago. There are temptations out there like the Fuji GFX50s that are making many people dream of other camera brands. I don’t understand what happened to your product innovation. I don’t understand why as the biggest camera brand in the industry you aren’t making people feel excited about your latest products in the same way that Nikon, Sony and Fuji are.

Please, please make the photography community feel excited about your future product launches. Make us feel proud to use your cameras for many more years to come. I want to stop looking at the competition with temptation, envy and jealousy. I know you can do it.

Yours sincerely,

@tassiegrammer.
Passionate Canon camera user & brand advocate.
Cloudcity. Uuden ajan pilvipalvelu.
aikaarska

Re: Avoin kirje Canonille

Viesti Kirjoittaja aikaarska »

No jaa, melko ylitunteikas kirjoitus. Kaikki vaiva vain sen takia, että ruoho näyttää niin kovin paljon vihreämmältä sen kuuluisan aidan takana.
Ja loppujen lopuksi koko kirjoituksen pääpointti taisi olla enimmäkseen se, että Sony tekee parempia kennoja kuin Canon - tällä hetkellä.
Jos unohdetaan kennot, niin kyllä Canon on minusta tehnyt vähintään yhtä hyvää työtä kuin Nikon. Canon on sentään saanut aikaiseksi peilittömän APS-C järjestelmän ja kehittänyt kennolta tapahtuvaa tarkennusta pidemmälle kuin Nikon. Tämä teknologia tulee olemaan tulevaisuudessa tärkeässä asemassa.
Myös video-ominaisuuksissa Canon hakkaa Nikonin mennen tullen. Itseasiassa lähes kaikki lukuunottamatta Panasonicia ja Sonya.

Mutta tottakai Canon olisi voinut tehdä paremminkin. Peilittömyys on aika kovassa nousussa. Canonin peilittömän M järjestelmän olisi voinut suunnitella enemmän tulevaisuutta ajatellen.... Kuten vaikka tuki kinokennolle. Ehkä Canon julkaisee vielä uuden peilittömän mountin? Kinolle. Uuden järjestelmän objektiivien tuotanto tuskin tulee olemaan Canonille minkäänlainen ongelma.

'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'
temama

Viesti Kirjoittaja temama »

hehhehhe. housut jo tutisee!! Soni tulee, ja sony lyö - maahan!! Pöööööö!
Elämä on valokuvaajan parasta aikaa! Vîta est tempus optimum homini
Maffer
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Maffer »

Nyt se tulee, nyt se kävelee, ei ilman kymmentä akkua mitään tee - Sonyyyyyy!
burmanm

Viesti Kirjoittaja burmanm »

aikaarska kirjoitti:Myös video-ominaisuuksissa Canon hakkaa Nikonin mennen tullen. Itseasiassa lähes kaikki lukuunottamatta Panasonicia ja Sonya.
Northupin testissä D850 näytti itseasiassa tuottavan aika mallikasta jälkeä videolla. D850:n sensorikaan ei ole Sonyn (ei edes valmistama), niin eikös tässä nyt pitäisi alkaa itkemään että Nikon ja Sony tekevät parempia sensoreita?
Kryptos
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Kryptos »

D850 sensorin suunnitteli Nikon sopimuksella Forza Siliconin kanssa ja kennon valmisti TowerJazz. Mielenkiintoista. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whZGDpAZiSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kun tuli puheeksi. Laitan tämän myös D850-ketjuun, jollei se jo ole siellä.
Sapere aude.
---
flickr
niffe

Viesti Kirjoittaja niffe »

burmanm kirjoitti:
aikaarska kirjoitti:Myös video-ominaisuuksissa Canon hakkaa Nikonin mennen tullen. Itseasiassa lähes kaikki lukuunottamatta Panasonicia ja Sonya.
Northupin testissä D850 näytti itseasiassa tuottavan aika mallikasta jälkeä videolla. D850:n sensorikaan ei ole Sonyn (ei edes valmistama), niin eikös tässä nyt pitäisi alkaa itkemään että Nikon ja Sony tekevät parempia sensoreita?
Eikö Northup märise siitä Canonin käyttämästä mjpeg -formaatista ja croppifaktorista ensisijaisesti? Hyvännäköistä se motion jpeg:kin pääsääntöisesti on verrattuna noihin reippaasti pakattuihin leffakoodekkeihin.
temama

Kryptos kirjoitti:D850 sensorin suunnitteli Nikon sopimuksella Forza Siliconin kanssa ja kennon valmisti TowerJazz. Mielenkiintoista. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whZGDpAZiSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kun tuli puheeksi. Laitan tämän myös D850-ketjuun, jollei se jo ole siellä.
Ihan sama, tosin mä en tota läskiä hupiukkoa usko muutenkaan.

Nikonilla on hirvee kompleksi tän kennovalmistuksensa kanssa. Ne turisee vaikk minkälaisen stoorin taustalle kunhan ei vaan vahingossakaan paljasteta että loppupeleissä se peruna kasvatettiin sonin tiluksilla!! Mut ihan sama mistä vit*sta se tulee. Ihan kiva jos joku muukin firma sais duunailla kennoja vähäsen. Mun ei tartte näitä mistä tulee, kun tiedän että mun sonissa on aina huippu sonin kennotus!!
Kryptos
Viesti:

En minäkään tyypin tyylistä pidä, mutta se on täysin irrelevanttia itse asian suhteen. Jokainen voi tarkistaa nuo linkit ja tehdä omat johtopäätöksensä, mutta melko selvältähän asia näyttää.
Sapere aude.
---
flickr
ttuplai

Viesti Kirjoittaja ttuplai »

Tiivistelmä: En kiihottunut uudesta kamerasta. Missä vika? Vastaus: Canon.
TiRy

Viesti Kirjoittaja TiRy »

ttuplai kirjoitti:Tiivistelmä: En kiihottunut uudesta kamerasta. Missä vika? Vastaus: Canon.
Siinä pähkinänkuoressa mihin jonkun brändin vuosikymmeniä kestävä fanittaminen voi ihmispoloisen ajaa. Jotenkin kaihoisan surullista.
Kryptos
Viesti:

Olihan tuo melko pitkä "avautuminen", niinkuin nykyään kai nuoriso tuppaa sanoa.

Siltä osin olen samaa mieltä, että Canon on ollut viime vuosina kamerarunkojen osalta hieman niinkuin Volvo aikoinaan: hyvin tehty, melko luotettava ja turvallinen, mutta ei herätä suuria tunteita samoin kuin Bemarit, Audit, Valokuvamarsalkan Mersut, sun muut. Nykyään Volvo on jo premium-luokassa, mutta Canon on edelleen 90-luvun Volvo.

Mutta sitäkin ostetaan tasaisen varmasti, vaikka kilpailijat voisivat tarjota monella osa-alueella enemmän.

Canonin vahvuus on edelleen myös todella vahva optiikkavalikoima. Se painaa monelle, varsinkin ammattikuvaajille, olettaisin, vaakakupissa paljon. Esim. 5D Mark IV ei millään muotoa ole huono kamera, vaikka hieman kalpeneekin vaikka nyt D850:n rinnalla.
Sapere aude.
---
flickr
zone6

Viesti Kirjoittaja zone6 »

Kuinka joku jaksaa tuollaisia kirjoitella jonkun merkin takia?

Jotakin on pielessä, jos kameramerkin (tai jonkun muun vastaavan) olemus on noin tärkeä.
Zone VI
Maffer
Viesti:

No on kait, jos kuvaaminen kiinnostaa niin sen tekee vaikka sillä satasen puupöntöllä. En itsekään enää oikein ymmärrä tätä debattia. Canon kuitenkin panostaa vahvasti siihen millä ne kuvan puitteet luodaan, eli kunnollisella objektiivivalikoimalla. Millä muulla valmistajalla on moderni T/S lasien valikoima laajiksista 135mm asti? No ei kenelläkään pl. kamerat joissa liikut on jo rungossa.
Kryptos
Viesti:

zone6 kirjoitti:Kuinka joku jaksaa tuollaisia kirjoitella jonkun merkin takia?

Jotakin on pielessä, jos kameramerkin (tai jonkun muun vastaavan) olemus on noin tärkeä.
Ei mitään ole pielessä, vaikka joku onkin kokenut asian vahvemmin, kuin sinä. Samalla lailla voi ihmetellä koko tätä konkkaronkkaamme täällä DC.netissä, kun vuodesta toiseen jaksetaan taittaa peistä ties mistä merkistä ja ominaisuudesta sivultolkulla. Mahtuuhan sitä tekstiä Internetiin.

Tuo kirje oli suunnattu avoimena kirjeenä Canonille. Ehkä siellä joku lukeekin sen ja huomaa ainakin sen, että asiakaskunnassa on niitä, joille Canon on ollut tärkeä; lojaaleja, pitkäaikaisia asiakkaita, jotka nyt harkitsevat siirtyvänsä toiseen leiriin. Sen luulisi olevan yritykselle kuin yritykselle tärkeä viesti, jos ei yksittäisenä tapauksena, niin ainakin jos samaa viestiä tulee laajemmin.
Sapere aude.
---
flickr
niffe

Viesti Kirjoittaja niffe »

Kamerat ovat itseilmaisua parhaimmillaan. On isoja ja pieniä kameroita, suorituskykyisiä ja suorituskyvyttömiä kameroita, pitkiä teleobjektiiveja ja pienen pieniä pikkuruisia laajakulmia. Näistä sitten jokainen löytää sen omansa ja puolustaa sitä kuin itseään. Loukkaus tuotemerkkiä kohtaan on henkilökohtainen hyökkäys kameran omistajan persoonaa kohtaan. Sillä tavalla tuotemerkit toimivat kamerafoorumeilla.
Maffer
Viesti:

Kun tässä on tullut kokeiltua about kaikki modernit merkit niin eipä näistä nyt mitään hurraa-huutoja voi antaa. Eniten kiksejä tuli tosta 4x5" filmikokeilusta vuosiin.
Lay

Viesti Kirjoittaja Lay »

niffe kirjoitti:
burmanm kirjoitti:
Eikö Northup märise siitä Canonin käyttämästä mjpeg -formaatista ja croppifaktorista ensisijaisesti? Hyvännäköistä se motion jpeg:kin pääsääntöisesti on verrattuna noihin reippaasti pakattuihin leffakoodekkeihin.
Tuli alussa itsekin kirottua mjpeg -formaattia, mutta eipä tuo erityisemmin poikkea Mavic Pro:n 4K videoiden editoimisesta. Molemmat menee kuitenkin Premiere Pro:n läpi ja päätyvät samaan formaattiin. 5D IV, EF 35mm f/2 IS USM & RØDE VideoMic Pro+ yhdistelmä on sen verran näppärä, että tulee harvemmin enää käytettyä Sonyn videokameraa. Autofocus toimii kuin junan vessa. Toki 4K vaatii ison muistikortin ja tilaa jälkikäsittelyssä, mutta laadussa ei valittamista.
temama

burmanm kirjoitti: Northupin testissä D850 näytti itseasiassa tuottavan aika mallikasta jälkeä videolla. D850:n sensorikaan ei ole Sonyn (ei edes valmistama), niin eikös tässä nyt pitäisi alkaa itkemään että Nikon ja Sony tekevät parempia sensoreita?
Ihan sama mitä noi vlogistit täpinöissään hehkuttelevat, se on fakta, että Caanon Sonu handlaa videot paljon paremmin. Jopa Canonin vanhat mallit MäägikLanta softalla pesevät upouudet niikkoni mitä videoihin tulee.
kostaja!

Viesti Kirjoittaja kostaja! »

Maffer kirjoitti:Kun tässä on tullut kokeiltua about kaikki modernit merkit niin eipä näistä nyt mitään hurraa-huutoja voi antaa. Eniten kiksejä tuli tosta 4x5" filmikokeilusta vuosiin.
Puurot ja vellit on pahasti mennyt sekaisin jos todella on tuota mieltä.
Vastaa Viestiin